Saturday, April 16, 2011

An Inconvenient Truth: Equality Doesn't Exist

  Equality doesn't exist. Maybe if I just put that out there, I can begin to come to terms with it. Just the sound of it is wrong. But it's true, however inconvenient it might be. It is evident in the antagonism issued to different groups of people and in the differing living standards around the world.
  We all know about slavery, about segregation, about the Holocaust. Throughout history one faction of mankind has antagonized against another faction. Whether that be religious based, race based, gender based, or even education based, is irrelevant. The fact is that antagonism, hate, has existed for ever.
  Inequality also exists in living standards. There are people in this world living without electricity in simple huts, while others (like us), live in large houses with all the latest appliances. Around here, debate exists over the quality of our education. Elsewhere, debate exists over whether or not your kid should walk the 5 miles to school or stay home and help out with chores.
  I'm not here to state the obvious. We all are aware of the differences in societal living, in the racism surrounding minorities, in the anti-religious fervor around the globe. The shocking fact, the inconvenient truth, is that there never will be equality. We can never all have the same new age technology, or education, or houses. Even more angering, there will always be an antagonized class.
  Why? Simple. Even if everyone's living standards increase (as they have for the last 200 years), they tend to increase uniformly. In other words, if those living in poverty gain more money, those with money tend to gain more money, too. Basically, those in poverty will continue in poverty even if they gain more money, because poverty is based on comparison.
  When a minority increases its power and prestige, that minority becomes a source of jealousy for other groups, and thus antagonism increases. If a minority loses power to another group, they become antagonized against because the other groups have power to antagonize.
 I know inequality is bad, but if inequality is only slight, can it be good? If you feel you are slightly less skilled than someone, then you will strive to become better at that skill. I don't think inequality based on race or religion can ever be a good thing. But competence based inequality could encourage and motivate people to become better at certain tasks.
 From another angle, though, even that type of inequality can be harmful. It can become a significant stressor. And any inequality could escalate. That skill-based inequality could become violent and could result in segregation for all we know.
  So now comes the tough part; accepting and if possible, alleviating, this inequality. But how? For one, I can cut out behaviors of mine that might be antagonizing, like racist jokes or stereotypes. I could also point out to others how their behavior is being insensitive. I could join civil rights groups and help improve global living standards by donating to charity.
 But I must additionally come to terms with the fact that equality doesn't exist. I must strive to alleviate inequality, to close gaps where possible. I see this inconvenient truth as allowing me to better the world. It's a challenge, and our job to meet it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment