Monday, October 11, 2010

Metacognition: The Kite Runner

 I like to think that how I think is unique. I'm sure others may think similarly, but my thought-process is special. My mind is just the fingerprint for my whole body. No one else has the same pattern. I had the opportunity during my writing of The Kite Runner essay to examine how I think.
 My process of writing is as unique as any other part of my brain pattern. Not only for thesis-driven essays, but for just about any essay, I follow a 4 step process.
1) I think of a thesis. I do this by examining what I learned from the novel. What is Hosseini trying to teach me? Then, I decide on how that lesson is taught. How did Hosseini teach me that? This helps me arrive at a  focus and a claim.
2) I write my essay in my head. Perhaps when I am showering, or maybe during a commercial break, whenever it is, I loosely mouth the words as I think of exactly what I will write. Sometimes I pretend like I'm speaking in front of a class, even ours. This helps me verbalize the thoughts flying around in my head. I am an organized person, and my thoughts are not an exception. So by orally reciting my essay, I organize all the thoughts surrounding my essay.
3) I put into writing the verbal recitation of my essay. Though I feel it never turns out as good as I had spoken it, I still try to resemble that oral essay.
4) I edit my essay based on the original lesson I wanted to reverberate even before my thesis. By coming full-circle like that, I actually understand the point I was trying to make better. This is because I see how the starting idea can be explained in a more literal and external sense.
 I like my brain's ordered method of writing an essay because it does not need to be applied solely to writing. This thought process is one that can be used for anything from thinking of how to ask my parents for money to answering questions in a job interview.
 This method is highly effective in getting from the idea stage to the material stage, and it surprises me how cool my brain is in being able to do this. I love how my brain is able to bridge this gap, even if it requires several supports to the bridge along the way. I enjoy being able to  order my thoughts into this structure filing cabinet because it lets me have the files in any order inside each section.
 There is room for improvement in my brain's thought process, though. I would like to be able to better get from my oral reading to actual writing. That step, 3, is the hardest for me. Another aspect I would like to improve on is my ability to discover the roots for explaining a lesson. I have trouble seeing the author's way of showing a lesson, even though I am able to see the lesson as a whole.
 I can improve both these aspects by writing. As I write each essay, every part of the method will get better and more chiseled. I noticed this with The Kite Runner. I was able to better put into writing my thoughts than previous essays.
 All in all, my thinking is beautiful. But beauty always has room for a little photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment