As the first semester of this year ends, I realize I have learned more than what was taught in class. My thinking as a whole has transformed over the first semester. I probably wouldn't have recognized myself. But this change has been so gradual that until this moment of self-reflection I had hardly noticed any change at all.
Well to prove I have changed, I must reflect on how I began the year. Coming into this year, I had a simple 3 step process to answering an analytical question about a book, like "What is the significance of the repetition of this color?"
1) I would think of several reasons that an author would use repetition.
2) I would pick the most practical reason.
3) I would raise my hand and answer the question.
A simple, sensible, and reasonable method right? It seemed that way to me.
But, with more challenging novels and questions, that simple method could not answer the question. For when the question was "What is the effect of the repetition of this phrase on the character himself?", my method fell flat on the floor during step one. So I changed my process. Rather than answering a question immediately, I let others speak, a process harmonious with my teacher's wishes of an equally-talkative class. This allowed me to work on the ideas I was formulating. It changed my previous process slightly.
1) Listen to other's views.
2) Formulate answers based upon my own and other's views.
3) Pick the most reasonable answer.
4) Raise my hand and answer the question.
To put it simply, my process of thinking this semester changed from one based upon independent thought creation to one determined by combining thoughts to create a final one. I am proud of this transformation because I have learned to accept the views of others, and to see building on other's ideas as a positive not as a negative.
Specifically, the novel Sophie's World has changed my thought process. That novel taught me to view the world in layers. It is not always as it seems, instead, you must unravel the world like one of those cool Russian dolls with ten dolls inside. It may take a while, but you can get down to that smallest doll, that pure and most beautiful thought. I take that process to analyzing both literature and life, and writing, too. I keep digging through these dolls to get to the innermost one. When I write, I go the other way; I find the outer doll that fits the inner doll I have already decided. And sometimes, writing helps me find the inner doll.
In one semester I have managed to change my thought process significantly. Theses changes have helped outside my English class. It persuades me to be constantly be listening to other people. It also persuades me to think beyond the surface, to dig for the innermost doll.
No comments:
Post a Comment